Toronto's Hare Krishna Temple

Toronto's Hare Krishna Centre (ISKCON Toronto), has always been the hub of a rich, vibrant and enthusiastic community. Whether it be grand festivals, programs at local universities and yoga studios, philosophical discussions, cooking sessions, or singing and dancing on the streets, there are events taking place for everyone's interest.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What Are Your Kartik Vows?

11:27:00 PM By Kevala-Bhakti Dasa (Keshav) 10 comments

As many of our regular readers know, we are now officially in the auspicious month of Kartik: the lunar month that falls across October and November. This month is described as especially dear to Krishna, and spiritualists keep it sacred by undertaking acts of devotion and vows of austerity aimed at increasing their spiritual strength, drawing them closer to Krishna.


At the ISKCON Toronto Blog, we would like to know what you have vowed to do during this month of Kartik! Please add a comment to this post with your personal vows for Kartik.

You can feel free to post anonymously (if you feel your vows are more personal in nature), but we would love to see what spiritual-seekers in our community are doing this month. In fact, reading your vow(s) might inspire someone else to undertake the same endeavour! How inspirational!

Whether it be as simple as chanting a certain number of rounds (mantra meditation) per day, or vowing to read a chapter of the Bhagavad-gita each morning, we would love to hear what our community is doing to go deeper in their spirituality during this very auspicious month!

To submit a comment, please click the link at the bottom of this post.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice idea! One of my kartik vows is to try to get atleast half my rounds done by 9am in the morning! So far so good =)!

Anonymous said...

To improve my concentration when I am chanting!

Anonymous said...

Happy Kartik to everyone! My Kartik Vows is to share Krsna Conscienceness to someone new every week, and possibly, everyday. Be it in a large way by introducing potential devotees to UrbanEdgeYoga events, or a small way by reading Bhagavad Gita as it is on the subway for persons to see Krsna on the cover of the book. But from my experience, prashadam (food), gets the job done. Haribol! - Sing Lung :O

Anonymous said...

... will also aim for the first two comments. Hare Krsna! - Sing Lung :V

Anonymous said...

Hare krishna to all devotees! May the month of Kartik brings all of you closer to Sri Krsna. I suggest devotees to take vows and not necessarily only in month of Kartik. My vow is that I complete my 16 rounds at one go in the morning, preferable before 6 a.m If i am sincere I am sure Krsna will be with me. O devotees of Krsna, I humblyrequest for your blessings. Jaya Radhey!

Anonymous said...

I am offering the cotton batti soaked in the pure cow ghee every day to the chitra of Krishnaji and Yashhoda mata, this is most auspicous during the damodar mans!

Anonymous said...

I am trying to get some of my rounds done in the morning and sing Damodarashtakam every evening.
And now as I read this article I will try to read Bhagavad-Gita every day!
Thank you for inspiring me:)
Tara

Keshav said...

These are all so wonderful! Please keep them coming!

anshkid said...

My kartik vow is to improve my concentration while chanting and sing damodarashtakam every day!
haribol

Anonymous said...

Hare Krishna :) ,
For someone struggling with chanting, I would like to Share that HH Bhakti Brhat Bhagavata Maharaj advised me this morning that chanting a fix number of rounds without fail is very important especially during the auspicious month of Karthik.

I am also offering ghee lamps while reciting Damodara Ashtakam .
Your Servant,
VK
:)